Friday, November 14, 2014

Comfort Food That Won't Ruin Your Waistline



I don't know about you, but when the temperatures fall I usually find myself reaching for comfort food - soup being my go-to.  Eating it reminds me of my childhood, so not only does it make me feel warm inside, it also causes some major warm and fuzzies in my brain.
I even have some chicken soup cooking in my crockpot for dinner right now! (If you're looking for a clean, Isagenix friendly Chicken Soup Recipe, come back to this blog next week)
Since my introduction to nutritional cleansing over a year ago I'm WAY more conscious of what I put into my body. But before I starting caring about eating more whole foods and less preservatives, I used to grab a can of soup from the shelf of my local grocery store whenever I had a craving for comfort. 
Little did I know how much garbage was in it. 
There's nothing CLEAN about a can of Campbell's soup - trust me.  
These days I experiment with making different kinds of soups from fresh ingredients at home when I can. Hey, even cooking chicken soup is good for the soul around here. Of course, I don't always have the time to shop for, prep, and prepare a homemade batch of soup when the temperatures drop. When I can't I go in search of fresh options instead of canned.
While my local Wegman's has some really delicious choices, they're pretty heavy in calories and not organic.
A few weeks ago I decided to try Boulder Organic! Soups (formerly Boulder Soup Works), which I stumbled upon when placing an order with Fresh Direct.
The Boulder Organic! line of soups are made artisan-style in small-batches, with certified organic, non-GMO ingredients, featuring fresh vegetables, herbs and spices mostly sourced from farms in the Western United States. All varieties are gluten-free.

The Golden Quinoa and Kale I ordered was super flavorful and I didn't have to feel guilty about eating it AT ALL. And the $6.99 price point for such a large container was budget friendly.

While not all are available in my area from Fresh Direct, they currently have seven soup varieties to choose from, including two with a chicken broth base and five vegetarian varieties:


Roasted Tomato Basil
Green Chile Corn Chowder
Red Lentil Dahl (Isagenix Friendly)
Garden Minestrone (Isagenix Friendly)
Golden Quinoa and Kale
Potato Leek
Butternut Squash Soup with Sage


If you're looking for comfort food that won't ruin your waistline, you can find out more information about these soups as well as where to buy them near you at the Boulder Organic! Soup site.

No comments:

Post a Comment